Resilience Tumbling Blocks (Poster)
This game was developed to engage people around critical resilience planning concepts:
- Uncertainty: The Dice of Disruption introduces an element of unpredictability.
- Core Systems: The tower is organized so that the core systems are found at the bottom. If disruption occurs at the base of the tower, then the entire systems is put at risk of collapse.
- Characteristics of Resilience: The players must collect atleast 7 of the 10 Characteristics of Resilience. Removing blocks from the tower does create instability, however, we hope that by getting players to focus on collecting the Characteristics of Resilience blocks, they will learn to look for these characteristics in their own city or community.
How to play:
- Setting up the Tower: The tower should be ordered by color with the blue Characteristic of Resilience blocks being scattered throughout. Make sure to distribute them evenly throughout the tower (Top: Purple/Agents, Brown/Institutions, Yellow/Systems, Bottom: Green/Ecosystems)
- The Goal of the Game: Collect 7 Characteristics of Resilience blocks before the tower comes tumbling down.
- Roll the Dice of Disruption: Every other turn, the player must roll the Dice of Disruption and pull a block of the corresponding color from the tower. If you roll “Bounce Forward,” you can add a block back into the tower to add stability, or you can draw a Characteristic of Resilience.
- Build the Tower: When a player pulls a block, place it at the top of the tower. Hold on to any Characteristics of Resilience that you collect
- Build your community! let new players jump in and out of the game. Work together to strategize and collect Characteristics of Resilience as a team.
Citation: Fox, M. (2014). Resilience Tumbling Blocks [Poster]. Boulder, Colorado: ISET-International.
Funded by: The Rockefeller Foundation